TG Steam Group TG FB Group
 21 September, 2021, 07:15:44 AM 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register  

Tectonic Gaming

Author Topic: Where to from here?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Talmera

• Retired
  • Beserker
  • Hey I'm new!
Where to from here?
« on: 26 February, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »
Congratulations on 3 years in a few days. I’m sure Taurvi has many wonderful things planned for the next year ahead and I can only imagine how the community will continue to evolve. Over these last 3 years we have seen the community go through many hardships and the community has emerged from them battered but still here and for that I would like to congratulate you all.

Sadly I cannot say the same for myself. A month ago I took a quiet leave of absence and when I decided to take it that’s all it was, I had every intention of coming back. However over this month I have had the pleasure of being on the outside looking in and I truly believe the ideologies with which Tectonic was founded on no longer exist in a form I’m willing to accept. Thus I was presented with a choice one that I have sunk more thought in to than I would like to admit; do I continue to fight that which Taurvi has set in motion or do I move on and let TG progress on its own?

It is with this in mind that I have decided on the latter.

As I alluded to earlier I spent much time contemplating the effects of both outcomes and ultimately the majority of TGs current member base are happy to let the community progress on its current course. So for an ease of transition and to sooth my tired soul I made the decision not to cling on to my creation in pride but to allow it to grow on its own, even if that growth is in a way I cannot personally condone.

I am truly grateful for the opportunity I was given many years ago and looking back I don’t regret the experience one iota for without the bad the good wouldn’t seem as sweet. Lastly as a parting gift for all the good and the bad with which you have given me the pleasure of experiencing over these years, I have made sure that the domain which holds host to all the back-end remains operational till the day TG no longer needs it.

Offline Jerry Hat Trick

• Vintage Chaos
  • Retired
Re: Where to from here?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2015, 06:43:09 AM »
This saddens me, but it is a choice one has to make on their own .
I, personally, will never consider TG the same. As you said, things are changing, whether they will make this a better (or worse) place, I am not yet prepared to say.

I can't thank you enough for the work & dedication you put into making Tectonic successful. Very few communities hold me as this one has, that has to mean something or other.....
It's not Utopia, doubt it ever will be, but something has held some of us here for almost 3 years, and  that's quite an accomplishment. It can't be the games themselves, so that only leaves the people.

Godspeed in your journey, and again - thank you.

Offline Deg

• Admin
  • Hey I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2015, 06:57:29 AM »
Insert troll post here.

Just kidding. I know we arent the best of friends, regardless of that I still respect you as a human being. We all have our trials and tribulations, how we deal with them is what shapes the person imo. I wish you the best of luck, no sarcasm, no petty stabs. Just a goodbye to an old friend. Stay strong, I wish you the best life has to offer. 8)

Offline Prince Taurvi

• The Royal Pain
  • Owner
  • Beserker
  • Shymapler is a T--SPLUT!
    • Attempt at a Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »
First off, thank you for everything. You have given me a unique chance that I never dreamed about and you have left very big shoes to fill. Tectonic only exists because you put 3 years of hard work into it, and I have no intentions on letting those 3 years go to waste. I wish to see this community prosper and develop long into the future.

Now a few things that have been bugging me - I wish you'd elaborate further. What do are you not satisfied with -- what is it exactly that makes you feel this way?

I've been trying really hard to open up lines of communication, so that anybody can reach out and say "hey I don't like this" and we will seriously take it into consideration. That includes me and that includes you.

Either way, if you feel there is no way to salvage, the there is really nothing I can do to convince you otherwise.

Offline Dinomoto Mennovi

• SOS
  • Retired
  • Beserker
  • Major Angry Brit
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:21:53 PM »
Eh, I think I know what you mean.
Don't get me wrong, change is good, but when you change too much, it becomes unrecognisable to what it used to be and if I was a new person looking to join a community, it wouldn't be this one. 
Boobs are like butts up on the chest - Danny Sexbang

Offline Prince Taurvi

• The Royal Pain
  • Owner
  • Beserker
    • Attempt at a Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »
I don't understand what is so dramatically different that would "deter" new people from joining the community...? Because as far as I'm concerned we've had more forum signups and people join the group in the last 2 months than we've had during the latter half of last year.

Talk to me... Please?

Offline Dinomoto Mennovi

• SOS
  • Retired
  • Beserker
  • Major Angry Brit
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
Actually, I was referring to me and not other people.

Offline Prince Taurvi

• The Royal Pain
  • Owner
  • Beserker
    • Attempt at a Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2015, 01:05:17 PM »
Actually, I was referring to me and not other people.

What in particular?

I've looked over the changes and I fail to see what the problem is.

Logistically:
1) I've empowered the appointed leaders to actually be able to do their job on their respective servers with even less intervention and involvement from the very top
2) I've encouraged the leaders to make sure to address and keep popular opinion in mind when making changes
3) I have asked staff to take a step back and to moderate when necessary, rather than nitpicking

Rules:
1) Relaxation on rules that we've had in place from the beginning, however does NOT allow for excessive use of certain words

Forum:
1) Transition to a new software which should not only simplify forum management, but should be more visually appealing and modern looking

The only criticisms I have received I have addressed to the best of my ability. I have no issue taking critcism and I emphasize I want to work with everybody here, regular/non regular, staff/non-staff, in order to make this community a place for everybody. Heck if an anonymous box for comments would help, I can make that happen!

Offline Dinomoto Mennovi

• SOS
  • Retired
  • Beserker
  • Major Angry Brit
« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »
Well bluntly put, I don't like playing with the people.
I've got a lot of nitpicks, but if my gut and mind is telling me that I don't wanna mingle with these people, it's been more accurate now than before 2015.
« Last Edit: 26 February, 2015, 01:30:00 PM by Dinomoto Mennovi »

Offline ๖ۣۜBlog๖ۣۜ'

• A.H.I.M.D
  • Retired
  • EXP Addict
« Reply #9 on: 26 February, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »
TBH Tal I cant remember when I first met you. I guess I just started noticing you when I became a mod. But jesus christ its been a fun 3 years. Thank you for impacting the most important section of my whole life.

Good luck Tal, with whatever you do.

I cant repay you for what you've done for ALL of us on TG. Whether everyone will admit it or not, we would not have known each other if it wasn't for you. I hate the drama that happened, I hate all that. But im happy that you stayed constantly through it, till TG recovered from it. Thanks again Tal, Blog Inc. will forever support you. <3

Offline Twerty

• ex-PR Rep of Talmerica
« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2015, 05:44:57 AM »
if I was a new person looking to join a community, it wouldn't be this one.

Are you a new person? Are you looking at a new community with fresh eyes, envisioning yourself a place among its members?
If the answer to either is no, then your postulating on a hypothetical like doesn't really matter.

The only criticisms I have received I have addressed to the best of my ability.

What Dinomoto is saying has more to do with himself than the community. It's not criticism, he's just saying he doesn't fit in anymore. So don't try to evaluate it like an objective critique, Taurvi.

That he felt the need to so clearly state his personal denouncement of current members of the community in the founder's resignation seems to be a pretty poor attitude towards people who do enjoy the community, but it is what it is.

Online communities, gaming communities, change a lot. People's taste change, gaming fads come and go, generations pass the torch to eachother. Servers and forums and groups blink in an out of existence constantly. As they say, the only thing that is unchanging is the changing nature of all things.

The only real choice is whether you try to cling to the old ideas and the groups while they change beneath you, or you let go and release your expectations and personal attachments, seeing things as they are. And you just let others carry it forward -- something that isn't yours anymore, nor recognizable from what it once was, but a dream worth carrying nonetheless.

Talmera obviously understands that. His departure here isn't something made in the heat of the moment, I think. This was a carefully considered decision, and you should respect that. It's not a condemnation of the community, if anything it's the opposite. He's giving it the blessing to be what it is, whatever it is. Whatever that may be.

He believes in the community enough to see it being something good without him. He's willing to guarantee its permanent existence. That's pretty profound faith. So don't devalue this by taking it as an act of offense.

It's taken me many years of my own life to understand that sometimes that is the greatest form of love that can be given, especially when you grow far enough away from something or someone that once was. It's like trusting a child you've raised enough to let him or her walk on their own. You can only give so much before they have to do the growing on their own.

I don't like to speak here because I'm not sure if this was ever really my community to have the authority to speak on. I'm not even a member, now, really; I was, once, as I have been of many. And I was a founder of another community, once, so I felt I had a unique perspective on the event. Try not to take everyone's departure as such a bad thing.

We all have journeys we must take, and sometimes we need to leave the places we've stayed in order to do that. Sometimes that is necessary.

Anyway, thanks. For the granting me the authority to moderate the game server forever ago, and for offering a place for friends and strangers to play together. In about as welcoming and accepting of an environment as can be expected -- better than the norm, certainly. For all it's faults, I was glad to be a part of it when I was.

Cheers, and, as Jerry said: Godspeed.
« Last Edit: 27 February, 2015, 10:19:51 AM by Twerty »

Offline Rexy

• Everyones a critic.
  • Retired
  • Superiority
« Reply #11 on: 27 February, 2015, 03:46:16 PM »
I realize that this was no an easy decision to come to, but you'll do what you see is the best course of action. We've butted heads on a few occasions, but still I'd like to say Thanks for everything. The times of playing TTT until the early hours of the morning, making so many friends, and even having the chance to administrate. It wouldn't have been possible without you. I hope that these decisions bring you more peace, as from what I've seen TG has been causing you some stress over the past while. Rest assured, as Taurvi has been doing a great job at keeping this place alive. Good luck on your future endeavors Tal.

Offline Talmera

• Retired
  • Beserker
  • Hey I'm new!
« Reply #12 on: 27 February, 2015, 10:49:23 PM »
Thank you all for the heartfelt messages especially you Twerty that emotional email and that post must have been hard to write and to reflect on past events like that shows a growth of great maturity I now know the hardships in which you faced during our clashes and for that I thank you.

With that I'll take my leave, I genuinely wish the best for the future and I'll give this piece of parting advice: Paranoia is a crippling thing in great leaders.

Offline Prince Taurvi

• The Royal Pain
  • Owner
  • Beserker
    • Attempt at a Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2015, 06:27:29 AM »
With that I'll take my leave, I genuinely wish the best for the future and I'll give this piece of parting advice: Paranoia is a crippling thing in great leaders.

You can't possibly call what I did paranoia. You left without explanation. You said "here are the keys - good luck" and the proceeded to remove every single TG person, including myself, from Steam, from Skype, from Facebook. You deleted your forum account. No explanation given at all.

I thought maybe you left on bad terms? Maybe you weren't happy with the direction and chose to just leave it all? I didn't know what to think there, and after consulting with the leadership, we agreed, it was best for security reasons to start revoking your access in the event you DID leave on bad terms.

The moment I found out you left on GOOD terms (through Jerry - because he felt I needed to know, and he was right, I did need to know) , and NOT bad, I stopped the process. I stopped short of changing the FTP password, I stopped short of changing the MySQL password because I trusted you weren't going to use either of those in a malicious manner.

THAT is why I did what I did. Anybody would have done exactly such, in those circumstances.
« Last Edit: 28 February, 2015, 06:43:21 AM by Prince Taurvi »

Offline Bat

• Noob spotter, oh wait--
  • Mod
« Reply #14 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »
 :'(

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal