TG Steam Group TG FB Group
 28 October, 2020, 10:46:14 AM 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register  

Tectonic Gaming

Poll

Bring back insults?

Yes.
No.

Author Topic: Bring back !insult  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Prince Taurvi

• The Royal Pain
  • Owner
  • Beserker
  • Shymapler is a T--SPLUT!
    • Attempt at a Tumblr
Re: Bring back !insult
« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
Maybe instead of turning the insults off all together, a given user could opt not to be a target of an insult.

I like this idea

Offline thegrassygyarados

• Mod
  • A Weeaboo..
« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »
Along with insults, praises would also be nice. Bring back !insult.
You filthy mammal, you dont have the rock. Were Merging, WERE MERGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Twerty

• ex-PR Rep of Talmerica
« Reply #17 on: 06 May, 2015, 04:11:27 AM »
Maybe instead of turning the insults off all together, a given user could opt not to be a target of an insult.

Why should anyone get preferential treatment? Isn't that what T-G is all about, treating everyone equally?

They're funny. It's a joke. Nobody is going to be "scared off". From the implementation alone, and the content, it's tone is pretty clear. It's the kind of thing you see in chatrooms -- it's a toy, used for fun. I would be pretty floored if even one person got intimidated by something obviously generated by a machine (especially after a couple other outputs are seen), to the point where they left the server.

If they did, it is my personal opinion that it's better they be scared off, anyway. If they can't take a silly insult, should they be playing a game where they shoot people in the face and commit bloody murder?

It's a harmless feature. Go ahead and add it. It picks a random player and a random insult, so it's not even like it could be used to intentionally hurt someone's feelings anyway. It can even end up behind directed back at yourself, which is pretty hilarious.

P.S.
My response would of been less than polite.
I imagine it would have also been less than grammatically correct.  ;) Perhaps as equally well-considered?
If you have something to say that you feel strongly on, enough to make a vague threat like that, you should probably voice your actual opinion instead of piggybacking on someone else's.
« Last Edit: 06 May, 2015, 04:24:37 AM by Twerty »

Offline Mulldozer

• The Sleepy Hedgehog
  • Retired
  • Detective Dozer is on the Case!
    • My Blog!
« Reply #18 on: 07 May, 2015, 07:47:15 PM »
Why should anyone get preferential treatment? Isn't that what T-G is all about, treating everyone equally?

They're funny. It's a joke. Nobody is going to be "scared off". From the implementation alone, and the content, it's tone is pretty clear. It's the kind of thing you see in chatrooms -- it's a toy, used for fun. I would be pretty floored if even one person got intimidated by something obviously generated by a machine (especially after a couple other outputs are seen), to the point where they left the server.

If they did, it is my personal opinion that it's better they be scared off, anyway. If they can't take a silly insult, should they be playing a game where they shoot people in the face and commit bloody murder?

I personally have no problem with the feature. I find it funny.
There's nothing wrong with options, though. Opting out of being the target of an insult does no harm and will only improve a person's experience on the server. Other people on the server wouldn't really be aware that a person opted out, either.

People's temperaments all differ and it would be unfair to a person if they enjoyed everything about the server except for this. We shouldn't enforce ideals upon people; be it removing this feature or forcing people to be in the feature.

Offline Twerty

• ex-PR Rep of Talmerica
« Reply #19 on: 08 May, 2015, 06:06:51 AM »
I personally have no problem with the feature. [...]  Opting out of being the target of an insult [...] will only improve a person's experience on the server.

So, you find nothing wrong with it, then assert that its affect objectively worsens a person's playing experience?

Stop trying to play both sides. If you have something to say, be straight about it and own up to your own opinion.

We shouldn't enforce ideals upon people

You realize we're talking about a video game, right? We're talking about the addition of a harmless text generator in a video game. It's not a holy crusade where helpless victims need to be saved and protected. Stop pretending it's bigger than it is. This isn't politics or philosophy.

The ability for people to overcomplicate ridiculous semantics consistently blows my mind. This is exactly why I don't bother with forums anymore. The simplest shit becomes needlessly, insanely complicated. It's not worth the time or effort it takes for me to debate.

It's a feature that has been on servers before and from what I recall has not even once been the cause for distress or argument, just conversation and antics. Its addition is simple and straightforward. Especially because the list that is provided is not the one that's actually going to be used.

I'm sure the list-to-be-used will be gladly provided, if anyone wants it. Let's do that, SirP, just to put this to bed.

If anyone has any real argument of substance, instead of debating the possibility of offending hypothetical people with a feature that only exists hypothetically, the floor is open.

Else, just stop. My brain is dying. Add it, take criticism, and change it if it's deemed necessary. That is how progress is made.
« Last Edit: 08 May, 2015, 06:16:22 AM by Twerty »

Offline Jerry Hat Trick

• Vintage Chaos
  • Retired
« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2015, 06:24:07 AM »
The bottom line (for me) is, the server is dead. As its been stated before, other servers are populated because they offer things to entertain the players - whatever it may be.

I really don't see why someone shouldn't be able to opt out. However, if they choose to not be the target, then they must also be forbidden to use the command at all.
Fair is fair, after all.

Offline Twerty

• ex-PR Rep of Talmerica
« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
The bottom line (for me) is, the server is dead. As its been stated before, other servers are populated because they offer things to entertain the players - whatever it may be.

The server is empty. It's not populated because people don't like to populate it. It's that simple. That's what I did, consistently, back in the day, when I was afforded the responsibility, because that's what needed to get done. You need people in the server to get people in the server.

Other communities have populated servers because those are communities based around playing the game regularly, and enjoying it.

It's not "dead". It's there. It's just empty. Don't be such a dramaqueen.  :azn:

On that note, I feel like this thread should be about compiling a list of relatively uninsulting insults. Dramaqueen is a good start.
« Last Edit: 08 May, 2015, 10:13:47 AM by Twerty »

Offline Mr. E

• Retired
  • Novacane Novacane Novacane Novacane
« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
Love it, love everything about it, love everything

Offline Mulldozer

• The Sleepy Hedgehog
  • Retired
    • My Blog!
« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »
So, you find nothing wrong with it, then assert that its affect objectively worsens a person's playing experience?

I didn't say that the feature objectively worsens a person's playing experience. I am implying that this feature has a small potential to negatively impact a person's experience. I feel like most people, including myself, find the feature amusing and think it should be included.

Stop trying to play both sides. If you have something to say, be straight about it and own up to your own opinion.

You realize we're talking about a video game, right? We're talking about the addition of a harmless text generator in a video game. It's not a holy crusade where helpless victims need to be saved and protected. Stop pretending it's bigger than it is. This isn't politics or philosophy.

The ability for people to overcomplicate ridiculous semantics consistently blows my mind. This is exactly why I don't bother with forums anymore. The simplest shit becomes needlessly, insanely complicated. It's not worth the time or effort it takes for me to debate.

It's a feature that has been on servers before and from what I recall has not even once been the cause for distress or argument, just conversation and antics. Its addition is simple and straightforward. Especially because the list that is provided is not the one that's actually going to be used.

I'm sure the list-to-be-used will be gladly provided, if anyone wants it. Let's do that, SirP, just to put this to bed.

If anyone has any real argument of substance, instead of debating the possibility of offending hypothetical people with a feature that only exists hypothetically, the floor is open.

Else, just stop. My brain is dying. Add it, take criticism, and change it if it's deemed necessary. That is how progress is made.

I'm not playing both sides. My stance is very clear: implement the feature and let people opt out of being a target of an insult. By default, everybody on the server will be a target. There could be a person that thinks "hey. I really like this server, I just don't feel like being a target of an insult."

The gameplay should come first and foremost. This feature does not affect gameplay so there doesn't have to be hard and fast rules.

I am just making a simple suggestion. I'm not saying "IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY OR ELSE THE WORLD WILL END AND WE WILL ALL DIE." Instead of being dismissive, try to understand that my suggestion doesn't take away from anybody else's experience around this feature.

Offline Twerty

• ex-PR Rep of Talmerica
« Reply #24 on: 15 May, 2015, 04:27:18 AM »
I didn't say that the feature objectively worsens a person's playing experience. I am implying that this feature has a small potential to negatively impact a person's experience. [...] I am just making a simple suggestion. I'm not saying "IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY OR ELSE THE WORLD WILL END AND WE WILL ALL DIE." Instead of being dismissive, try to understand that my suggestion doesn't take away from anybody else's experience around this feature.

Rereading it, I see where you were probably coming from. Your wording, however, did seem to take a fairly absolute stance, so I went with what was there.

The gameplay should come first and foremost. This feature does not affect gameplay so there doesn't have to be hard and fast rules.

Glad to see we're on the same page here.

There could be a person that thinks "hey. I really like this server, I just don't feel like being a target of an insult." I am just making a simple suggestion. I'm not saying "IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY OR ELSE THE WORLD WILL END AND WE WILL ALL DIE." 

I guess the issue I have with this is that there COULD be a person that COULD be insulted, but I frankly don't see how. And I don't see the person, and I haven't seen them speak up about it. I personally feel that T-G tries a bit too hard to avoid all that could possibly controversial, and at the end of the day it just ends up pretty watered down, and it ends up overcomplicating matters.

The thing is, the point of the mechanic is that the insult could be directed at ANYONE. That's what makes it so funny. That's what makes it work. For people to opt out of it, well, it undermines the concept. And frankly, it doesn't seem necessary to me. Especially because the insults aren't actually insulting.

I just don't see any actual offense that could be taken here, and someone is going to have to explain it to me if they feel slighted by anything involved in this feature. Because that is truly what I don't understand here.

If it's you, Mulldozer, then just state what you find objectionable and we'll talk about it. But I feel like there is another or others who feel a personal, emotional investment in the matter, and I'd like to hear their opinion from them. I want to understand the rationale. I simply don't follow.
« Last Edit: 15 May, 2015, 05:22:47 AM by Twerty »

Offline Mulldozer

• The Sleepy Hedgehog
  • Retired
    • My Blog!
« Reply #25 on: 15 May, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »
The thing is, the point of the mechanic is that the insult could be directed at ANYONE. That's what makes it so funny. That's what makes it work. For people to opt out of it, well, it undermines the concept. And frankly, it doesn't seem necessary to me. Especially because the insults aren't actually insulting.

I 100% agree.
This forum post was for discussion and I wanted to make sure that all avenues were explored before implementation. Some people suggested muting the feature and I suggested an alternative for that. Simple as that!

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 29 queries.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal